Monday, July 9, 2007

Haven't found a Starbucks, though

I know Sandy is working on a post about shopping and food, but I wanted to add one comment. The other night we went to a mall called the Akropolis. Except for the language, it was completely American--it even houses what I think is the only McDonald's in town.

There are new cars displayed in the main foot traffic aisles. There are kiosks for all sorts of things out in front of the stores, and there are plenty of all manner of clothes, shoes, accessories, phones, electronics to buy. There is a huge Fred Meyer-like store--groceries and department store in one. (I bought a beard trimmer there for 5 dollars.) In fact, the Maxima is bigger than any Fred Meyer I've seen.

There is even an ice-skating rink in amongst all the restaurants.




This is a photo of a me at the information desk at a smaller mall in Siauliu. Note the flat-screen TVs, which kept running a trailer for some lurid Quentin Tarantino movie.

No comments: